High Deserts of Chile
DATE11 – 23 February 2024 (13 days) x3 SPACES LEFT
TOUR LEADERS Marsel van Oosten, Ignacio Palacios
and Daniella Sibbing
FEE 13,990 USD from San Pedro de Atacama, Chile *
SINGLE SUPPL. 2,790 USD for a single room
DEPOSIT 2,000 USD per person
GROUP SIZE min. 8, max. 13 guests
LEVEL all experience levels
* this tour has been postponed. We are working on final dates and the tour fee is likely to increase, as it was based on 2020 rates. If you want to pre-register, please use the booking form.
We have teamed up with award-winning photographer Ignacio Palacios, a Spanish/Australian photographer who has traveled to this continent many times. Apart from knowing all the beautiful locations intimately that we will visit during this trip in Bolivia and Chile, he is also a very good photographer and a great person to travel with. All good reasons for us to team up with him and to co-host 4 tours.
This exciting tour takes you to the Altiplano / Atacama desert and the Uyuni salt flats.
The Altiplano is a place of superlatives. A landscape of fire and ice. It is where the South American Andes are at their widest and it is the most extensive area of high plateau on earth outside of Tibet. It also holds the world’s highest lake, Titicaca, and the largest salt flat, Salar de Uyuni, at an elevation of 3,656 meters.
The Atacama Desert is an incredibly stunning region. It is the driest and the oldest desert on earth and has experienced extreme hyper aridity for at least 3 million years, making it the oldest continuously arid region on earth.
At night both the Atacama and the Altiplano are amazing locations to do some astrophotography as the clarity of the air is just superb. At this time of the year, the flats are likely to have a combination of areas that are filled with water (reflections!), and areas that are not, which will give us the best of both worlds!
- Witness a landscape of ice and fire, the Altiplano is a place of superlatives. It’s where the South American Andes are at their widest and it is the most extensive area of high plateau on Earth outside of Tibet.
- Photograph the world’s largest salt flat, Salar de Uyuni in the Altiplano.
- Visit the Atacama Desert, without a doubt one of the most stunning regions we have ever been to, anywhere in the world. It is the driest and the oldest desert on earth, and has experienced extreme hyperaridity for at least 3 million years, making it the oldest continuously arid region on earth.
- Capture Licancabur Volcano, an active stratovolcano that can be seen from San Pedro and along the route to Uyuni. Liancabur has an impressive symmetric shape with constant 30 degrees slopes that we will be able to photograph from many different places, from both in Chile and Bolivia.
- Enjoy the privilege of traveling and shooting with Marsel Van Oosten, Wildlife Photographer of the Year, Travel Photographer of the Year, and International Nature Photographer of the Year and Ignacio Palacios AIPP Double Master of Photography and Travel Photography of the Year winner.
Ignacio has created an extensive PDF for this tour, full of wonderful pictures of the locations we’ll be visiting, including a detailed itinerary. You can download the PDF at the bottom of this page. The tour is organized & invoiced by IP Travel, the company of Ignacio Palacios.
INCLUDED IN THE TOUR FEE
- transfer from/to airport
- all accommodation
- all meals
- all drinks
- in-the-field instructions
- image reviews
- Photoshop tips and tricks
NOT INCLUDED IN THE TOUR FEE
- international flights
- travel and cancellation insurance
- personal purchases (snacks, etc)
- Additional nights outside of the itinerary (at beginning or end of the tour)
For your information, we also have a link to our Terms & Conditions for you.
Please note that the dates in the tour brochures will be updated this week. The dates mentioned on this webpage are correct.