The Great White
DATE 19 Nov- 4 Dec 2018 (16 days)xFULL
GENRE landscape and wildlife
TOUR LEADERS Marsel van Oosten & Daniella Sibbing
TOUR START Montevideo
TOUR END Buenos Aires
FEE 8,950 EURO (deluxe room)x*
FEE 9,500 EURO (prestige room)x*
DEPOSIT 2,500 EURO per person
TEMPERATURE -5°C to 5°C / 23°F to 41°F
GROUP SIZE 14 guests
LEVEL all experience levels; non-photographing partners
will also love this tour!
* The cruise company has not yet published their schedule for the 2018/2019 season. The date, room types and prices are a good indication of what to expect (based on 2016). Since our Antarctic tours sold out in 2015 and 2016 (and we are skipping the antarctic region in 2017), we expect the 2018 tour to sell out. That is why the tour is already open for bookings so far in advance, in order to secure your seat; a downpayment needs to be paid to reserve your spot.
This tour is now officially full with people that pre-booked the tour. However, it is possible that there will be cancellations, as the tour is still quite far from now and plans may change. So if you would like to put yourself on the waiting list, please fill out the booking form and we will keep you updated about availability.
We will take you on a 2-week journey, in a region abundant with whales, seals, penguins, seabirds, incredible landscapes and legendary history, combining South Georgia with Antarctica.
A visit to South Georgia really adds to the Antarctic experience. There are some very interesting historical sights and you will enjoy the rugged scenery. It is home to impressive mountains with many glaciers and beaches full of penguins. It has more wildlife than virtually anywhere else on the planet.
But most importantly: if you want to photograph king penguins on a black sandy beach, or see a colony of over 200.000 king penguins against a backdrop of icy mountains, this is the tour for you! This beautiful penguin species with its orange front can not be found anywhere in Antarctica. Seeing and hearing (!) them is an incredible experience that will make a long lasting impression.
Apart from hundreds of thousands of king penguins, you will see huge elephant seals with their harem and many fur seals during our visits to Fortuna Bay, St. Andrews Bay, Gold Harbor and Cooper Bay.This cruise will take you to the northern peninsula of Antarctica: the kingdom of ice! The landscape is made up from sea, rock, and ice, with roaring glaciers, high peaks, and lots of floating ice.
Our trip starts at the beginning of the Antarctic summer, which allows us to travel quite far south, but with the white landscape still pristine. The penguin colonies have not yet melted too much, allowing for stunning photographic opportunities to see them in white surroundings. The penguins will be nesting during the time we are there, which results in a lot of stealing and fighting over the few stones that are on land, which is the source for building their nests: the female guards the eggs, while the male goes out to find more stones for her.
The wildlife in Antarctica is abundant and it is amazing how tame and approachable it is. When we are on the ship or cruising with zodiacs, we will look for seals, whales, dolphins and orcas. And there will be cruises purely dedicated to photographing the floating ice formations.
On shore, you will enjoy walking amongst the large penguin colonies, with their funny walks, noisy sounds and clumsy behavior when they are on land. The species we are likely to see are gentoo, chinstraps and adélie penguins. Birdlife is also plentiful and you will surely encounter arctic skuas, snowy sheathbills, petrels, shags and Antarctic terns – just to name a few. The landscape is amazing and you will have a hard time putting your camera down, as there are many hours of daylight, with long periods of soft beautiful light in the night.
Cruise the Antarctica in 5* comfort! We offer you all the opportunities of an expedition ship, but with 5-star comfort, unique in these remote polar regions. Our ship is brand new and will start sailing in April 2015. Although the ship is relatively small (only 125 rooms), it is built to conquer the harshest ocean conditions and it uses the latest stabilizing technology. Which you will certainly come to appreciate should the weather get rough. The ships decor is very modern and inspired by the colors of Antarctica. Sailing under French flag, you can expect fine dining and superb French wines to accompany your food.
We have reserved a mix of Deluxe Staterooms on deck 3 and Prestige Staterooms on deck 4. The rooms are spacious (200 sq. ft/18m2) and each room has a private balcony. We have been able to select rooms for our group in the mid section of the ship, to minimize the amount of movement caused by the waves. This will make your nights much more pleasant! All rooms have individually controlled air con and either a king-size bed or twin beds.
WHY CHOOSE SQUIVER?
Because we do things differently from our competitors. We take you on a modern and highly stabilized ship, not on a boat full of other photographers where you need to fight for the best spot. And we offer you very comfortable days on the ship.
This is not the copacobana-bingo-casino cruise you get in the Caribbean: you will return with a lot more knowledge than when you boarded! On sea days lectures will be given by the naturalists and scientists of the expedition team. It allows you to learn more about the mammals, birds and sea life that you will encounter on this trip. They will also brief you about the locations we will be visiting, and what you can expect when we go on a boat cruise or do a landing on shore. And we will also use the lecture rooms with our group, outside the official lecture hours, to do workshops, presentations and image reviews. You’ll return with spectacular images!
The way we set up this tour is based on 3 seasons of experience in cruising to Antarctica. In the tour PDF you can read in more detail why we did it this way.
INCLUDED IN THE TOUR FEE
- 15 Nights on board (embarkation in Montevideo)
- Luggage transfer from pier to the ship and vice versa
- All meals on board the ship
- All drinks on the “Open Bar” drinks menu (tea, coffee, water, soft drinks, and a selection of alcoholic drinks: house wines, champagne, beers and several spirits
- Captain’s welcome cocktail, gala diner and afternoon tea
- Room service (24h)
- Zodiac cruises and shore landings with a member of the expedition team
- Lectures and educational programs
- Park entry fees into protected areas
- Photographic briefings and image reviews
- Rental of waterproof boots men’s USA sizes 8-14 and women’s USA sizes 3-9
- Warm Polar parka for you to keep
- On last day of the tour: flight from Ushuaia – Buenos Aires
NOT INCLUDED IN THE TOUR FEE
- Port taxes (EUR 850 per person)
- Air tax (EUR 20 per person)
- Tips (suggested: EUR 15 per person per day)
- Optional spa package to be booked prior to your departure
- Optional shore excursions
- Beverages other than in the “Open Bar” drink menu
- Laundry service, hair salon and a la carte spa treatments
- Cancellation/luggage/repatriation/medical insurance
- Visa, disembarkation taxes, environmental taxes and/or national park fees if applicable
- Camera sherpa
All prices and dates are subject to change, as the final cruise schedule of the cruise company still needs to be published.
Take a moment to watch the high resolution version of the tour video on our Vimeo channel.
For your information, we also have a link to our Terms & Conditions for you.
If you would like to take out cancellation insurance for a tour, it needs to be arranged upon booking. You can get cancellation insurance through a third party, or we can arrange it for you. For more information go to: www.squiver.com/insurance.html.Book NowDownload PDFGallery